The Vienna International Airport in Austria is called Flughafen Wien-Schwechat. It is located in Schwechat, about 17 km or 11 miles far from the centre of the Vienna. If you are travelling to Vienna, you don’t need to worry about getting from the airport to the centre of the city. There are many options. For example, Total Taxi can help you.
Learn more about the safest and cheapest ground transportation from and to Vienna International Airport.
Bus – cheap option
There are buses from the airport to Vienna and to other towns, for example, Bratislava and Budapest. Buses to the Vienna city centre (it is called Morzinplatz/Schwedenplatz) run 24 hours a day. The bus ride is 20 minutes long. Buses offer connections across the Vienna with 14 stops and 93 connections a day.
All bus stops are connected with Vienna’s public transport network, mostly with an underground station, so you can easily move through the city. You can easily find details of the Vienna Airport Bus schedules on the internet.
There are three major bus routes:
- VAL1: Once every half-hour, from Vienna Westbahnhof to Volkstheater, Rathaus and Schottentor, then out to Vienna Airport.
- VAL2: Once every half-hour, from Schwedenplatz/Morzinplatz to Vienna Airport.
- VAL3: Once an hour, the route is: Donauzentrum – Kagraner Brücke – Hotel NH Danube City – Kaisermühlen/VIC – Krieau – Stadion-Center – Donaumarina – Vienna Airport.
You can buy a single ticket for 8 euros and for 13 euros in return, which is very inexpensive, especially if you are travelling alone.
Taxi – best option
Taxi is comfortable, relaxed and easy transportation option. If you choose a reliable taxi service, it does not need to be expensive. Choose wisely based on positive internet comments and reviews. We do not suggest hailing a taxi from the street, because you do not know who’s driving.
The best solution is to hire a legitimate taxi service like Total Taxi. You can organize safe and easy taxi transfer from Vienna International Airport to the city with that kind of taxi service. A random taxi driver from the street is not a safe option. You can think of all the bad things that can happen. Why bother to risk when you can solve your problems with airport transfer with a simple phone call.
You can order a taxi by phone or book online in advance. Total Taxi offers a fixed price of 30 euros, so you know you can’t be fooled. You will arrive at the destination you wanted in Vienna safely and without problems. Taxi ensures arrival and departure to and from Vienna International Airport. This is a good option if you are visiting Austria with a lot of people, so you can split costs and everyone will be satisfied.
Just do not forget to take your mobile phone with you!
Without a doubt, taxi transportation is a faster, less complicated and most comfortable way of airport ground transfer. Public transport timetables can sometimes be complicated for tourists. You can avoid that if you choose a taxi transfer with a professional driver and a reliable and modern car.
Train – two ways of transfer
There is a railway station serving the Airport in Vienna. There is a cheaper and more expensive way. The cheaper is the Vienna S-Bahn line S7 that provides a transfer to the city centre. The more expensive is the City Airport Train that connects the Vienna airport to the Wien Mitte railway station, very close to the city centre.
You will get faster to the city with a more expensive train line, in about 15 minutes. S-Bahn line will get you to the city for about 25 minutes. Trains leave the station twice per hour or hourly, it depends on the service. There are also long-distance trains that can be helpful if you are going to a destination that is not a Vienna city centre.
Interesting Facts about the Vienna International Airport
This is the list of fun facts every tourist should know about the Vienna International Airport. There are just a few interesting things every good traveller to Vienna should know. Who knows, maybe you will need this information in the future.
Instead of worrying about ground transportation, call a taxi, relax and have fun with these interesting facts!
- The Vienna International Airport is not far away from Slovakia. Bratislava, the capital city of Slovakia, is 57 km far away (reachable in about one hour). You can think of visiting Bratislava, too!
- Two years ago, in 2015, Vienna International Airport handled more than 23 million passengers from all around the world.
- The airport in Vienna was originally built as a military airport, but it later replaced Aspern as Vienna’s main airport.
- There is a 109 m tall control tower in the airport complex that offers an interesting night laser show.
- The Vienna International Airport can handle up to 30 million passengers per year.
- Environmental organizations oppose construction of another runway of the airport in Vienna. Even the protest was organized.
- Airport traffic is getting bigger and bigger every year (from 15 million passengers in 2005 to almost 23 million in 2014).
- Busiest routes at Vienna Airport are Frankfurt, Zürich, London, Düsseldorf, Berlin and Paris.
- Luckily, there has not been an aeroplane accident at Vienna International Airport since mid-fifties.
- The Vienna International Airport airport received Olympic teams because of the Winter Olympics that Austria hosted throughout the years.
The Vienna International Airport in Austria is called Flughafen Wien-Schwechat. It is located in Schwechat, about 17 km or 11 miles far from the center of the Vienna. If you are travelling to a Vienna, you don’t need to worry about getting from airport to the center of the city. There are many options. For example, Total Taxi can help you.